Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Class Pet

Okay, I just wanted to share this fun fact about me . . . I have a classroom pet.  Her name is Thalia (named after the strong female character in the Percy Jackson books).  She's like most other classroom pets - except for the fact that she is a TARANTULA!!! A Chilean Rose Hair tarantula to be exact.


Sorry that the picture is kind of blurry.  In the shot you see Thalia in the middle, her water dish above her, and the opening to her hiding log below her.  You can also see some of her white web which she lays down like a carpet. 

It may surprise you to know that a control freak such as myself would have an arachnid for a pet . . . but it was like second-nature for me.  My father (a high school science teacher) always had tarantulas as pets, so they are sort of familiar to me. 

Not only are tarantulas unique pets to have, they are surprisingly low-maintenance!  I make sure her wood chips are clean and her shallow water bowl is full.  I only feed her every couple of weeks.  She eats crickets that I purchase from the local pet store.  Actually, Thalia gave me a scare when she didn't eat anything for over a year!  She finally started eating again this month and I am one happy mama. 

My students develop such fondness for Thalia.  This past year's class even voted to make our class mascot a tarantula.  Here are pictures of our fantastic poster:




I think if I'm going to be honest, some students want to be in my class just so they can lay claim to Thalia.  She's quite the little celebrity!

No comments:

Post a Comment