Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Give Me Five!

To further solidify my obsession with the number 5, here is my quiet signal poster:


"Give Me Five!" is the strategy I use to grab the attention of my students.  I don't like to raise my voice, so I simply say "give me five" and put my hand up.  Then I wait for students to put their hands up to me and show me they're ready to listen.  Students catch on quickly when they see their peers with their hands up in the air.  It's a great way to bring them back from a loud or chaotic project. 

I don't always expect the kiddos to drop what they're doing in a split second - what an unrealistic expectation!  I allow them a bit of time to finish the sentence they're writing, gluing the poster they're working on, or discussing their reading question.  I do, however, remind them that they should give me five as soon as they can.  I even reward the class when they are all ready quickly. 

I heard about this strategy from fellow teachers and loved it the moment I heard it.  I don't know where I originally found my poster, but here is a link to some really cute ones with polka dots: Give Me 5 Posters

No comments:

Post a Comment